Friday, December 09, 2005

My man, Heathcliff

"I have no pity! The more the worms writhe, the more I yearn to crush out their entrails! It's a moral teething; and I grind with greater energy, in proportion to the increase in pain,"

Chapter 14...Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte

One of my favourite quotes...I had this up on my table....People thought I was woozy up there...Honey did you ever bother to read Wuthering Heights....an all time favourite of mine...A brilliant piece of work...I read it in school and fell in love with Heathcliff....his style of loving Catherine Earnshaw....It's love on another plane...where both their definitions differed yet...He can withstand anything against him to be with her...

And for one instant even I was fooled thinking here was this woman who made him enact this entire charade on the pretext of reciprocating that love...but then she confirms to one and all through her medium Nelly..."Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same"....

In that juvenile fervour I wished to be part of something so surreal and all consuming.... something that would even make death bow down its head it shame...where one person wishes in all sincerity that the other does not rest in peace but haunts the surviving partner till they are joined even in the other world...

Heathcliff burnt in a fire that was obsessive passion and lifelong vindictive hatred....and ultimately when he dies you actually heave a sigh of relief for at long last the man is for once in his life at peace...with himself...his love...with Catherine....the only true emotion he ever knew....

And then I chanced upon the cartoon strip Heathcliff...a dumb mutt....oopsie they were slandering the name of the man who according to me is one of the greatest heroes in literary history and I was expected to smile at the dumb mutt's irreverent actions!!!!! Hell no....

Heathcliff, the master of Wuthering Heights, the irate misanthropist...you rule....

No comments: