Monday, February 12, 2007

Yours, Forever.....

“How can you wear something so heavy all the time? Don’t you ever take it off? I thought you didn’t bother about all these things…” squealed this silly nobody I met for the first time about my bulky mangalsutra.

Now one can argue that by merely wearing it nobody can save their marriage…then why am I hell bent on sporting this chunky piece of yellow metal against all my convictions? For one, I have always been a tad old fashioned when it comes to matters of the heart…or atleast I believe that I don’t have to necessarily rebel against something unless it caused me actual discomfort or some other negative feeling. I do that enough in all other matters of living anyways.

So when I got married instead of opting for the diminutive Mallu leaf-like thali, I asked for a cumbersome and big Brahmin thali. Then I went ahead and decided to wear it…. not because anyone asked me to…because I chose to…to the utter surprise of others including the immediate families of my hubby and me…and to top it all I even decided to wear sindoor…. Well considering I have always had a tikka on my forehead, this didn’t change things too much, but here I was adhering to all the rules of wife-dom with utmost sincerity to the chagrin of all around me…

The point is, I have made a lifelong commitment…on all planes…. and I simply believe that these external oddities will not add or subtract from it…but hell why not try it out…. what if the formula that has worked for so many others before me rubs off some good luck on my relationship…and propels it into forever-dom if there were something of the sort?

No comments: