Thursday, March 30, 2006

Wholly Matrimony!

For years my wedding ring has done its job. It has led me not into temptation. It has reminded my husband numerous times at parties that it's time to go home. It has been a source of relief to a dinner companion. It has been a status symbol in the maternity ward.

So spoke the bible...

And now on the threshold of marriage I wonder like Churchill, "how many torments lie in the small circle of a wedding ring"....

Eerie....those little adjustments which will always be mine to make voluntarily...those little pains that I shall cry for in the pantry, sobbing lightly so that no one might hear...those little smiles, I will pass on at strangers at my dinner table while I serve them the choicest wine and meats...those numerous fights, I shall want to win, yet have to lose...those innumerous times I would look at him while he slept peacefully as I ironed the pile on the ground...those numerous times while I cooked and cooked and waited for someone to come, smack her fingers and say this is not my poor boy is used to....those many times when the other "daughter" cooked better meats, and baked softer cakes....those many times I broke into a tune and was told it was interrupting with the cricket match commentary...those many times, I wished life had been full of roses and he came back reeking of liquor....

I shudder....mine may or may not be the one that makes fairytales....yet something in me hopes and prays it s something I cherish and never cringe at...something I will want 40 years from now....something that will put a smile on my face even when memory has failed me....something that will make me go pink even when my wrinkles are larger than I can make out the difference....something that I will love....

Let the heavens shower their choicest blessings on me.....

Amen!

No comments: